Links to the 150th Anniversary

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Me and Judy Collins

After an extraordinary 10 days on the road, I was able to spend the evening of April 14, 2015 in Washington DC Among the many reasons to remember that night one is documented in this picture that Marc managed to get for me.

We were attending the events at Ford's theater in honor of the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's fateful night out after  a joyous day when the city had celebrated the end of the war.

Among the singers for a star studded evening was, gasp, Judy Collins. When I was a teenager, Robin, Sally and I would always see her during her yearly visit to the outdoor stage in Columbia Maryland. Every year.

And even now, her voice is just as crystal clear and simple and beautiful. She sang Amazing Grace, then invited us to sing with her. Not a dry eye.

Outside, I happened to be standing in the back of the crowd when we saw the handlers  bringing her around right next to me. I told her that she was wonderful and that she had always been wonderful. Then Marc snapped this picture. My face is slightly visible to the right. I broke into tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment