Links to the 150th Anniversary

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Hannah Reynolds April 13, 1865

My name is Hannah Reynolds
I live here in Virginia
I cook and keep the house clean
I am a slave

My master Doctor Coleman
Lives west of Appomattox
He treats me well and kindly
I am his slave

     And the war came to the east
     from Mannasas to Petersburg
     And they sent their boys to die
     600,000 and more we heard
     While we lived a peaceful life


My name is Hannah Reynolds
My husband he lives with me
I clean he does the hard work
We are both slaves

My master Dr. Coleman
Heard the guns firing
He left with his wife and daughter
But not with his slaves

      And the war came to our town
      At night they fought with bayonets and horses
      At dawn on the ridge across the field
      The soldiers fired cannons
      On that final surrender day

      And the war came to our house
      Men running round with shouts and commands
      The shot went through the door
      It hit me and I faltered
      there as I lay

My name is Hannah Reynolds
The soldiers could not heal me
Doctors treated me so kindly
Was I still a slave?

My name is Hannah Reynolds
I lived near Appomattox
Three days upon this earth
I was no slave


No comments:

Post a Comment