Links to the 150th Anniversary

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Starting to Read and write a song

I started reading the companion book to the Civil War series first out of a trudging realization that I had no real knowledge about history, then because it is a page turner. Totally absorbing and revelatory as the threads of Lincoln, Lee, Emancipation, Jackson, Gettysburg, the Confederacy become a fabric of intrigue, patriotism, despair. It is a large, heavy volume, so not easy to carry around.
This led me to find a copy online of the PBS series itself. Strangely, though, it is the words on page that I have found more captivating.

Another fascinating look at the southern milieu is  A Shattered Nation: The Rise and Fall of the Confederacy  1861-1868. by Anne Sarah Rubin. She is a professor at U of Md in Baltimore and I would love to meet her.. The book is a detailed thesis that lays out how the south, though not a separate state once the war was over, has remained a unique nation with values that can be traced to wartime.

I find myself reading, shaking my head and crying, having to stop after sections to ponder, to mourn.
The battle of Antietam begs me to return to again and again. A song begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment