Links to the 150th Anniversary

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Gettysburg introduction

Fran and I drive the pleasant 2 1/2 drive from Philadelphia to Gettysburg via Route 30. It is a direct shot to the hotel, 1/2 mile from the circle at the center of town. The first stop is to visit the 15 minute movie, an elegantly produced outline of the context and content of the battles, their significance to the outcome of the war. I realize how much the reading and classes have prepared me to watch and listen, giving me the impetus to feel the power of the story that is being told here.




Here I am at Gettysburg. How awe inspiring.


Gettysburg, the 3 day battle that would be the test of the newly appointed General Meade, his generals, and men as they fought against the formidable Gen. Lee who chose to face the Union on northern territory after  his victories at Chancellorsville and Fredricksburg.

I am crying at the end of the movie as we walk up stairs to the room that houses a 360 degree oil on canvas painted depiction of the battlefield. The lights and sounds flash around us, as the tension of the battle is described. I am sobbing now and but for the embarrassment that no one would understand why, I do not let myself cry as loudly or forcefully as I want

No comments:

Post a Comment