Links to the 150th Anniversary

Monday, December 30, 2019

Ten Crucial Days: Washington's Crossing, The Battles of Trenton and Princeton


Washington's Crossing, Dec 25, Battle of Germantown 1st Saturday in October. These were the only Revolutionary War events that had captured any interest for me until I saw the musical Hamilton. Yes, the musical brought to life  the intrigues and intelligence needed to create a new nation. 

 I had heard about an event called Patriots Week but had never followed through with any plans. In this week of reenactments, lectures, and music, Trenton and Princeton commemorate the days after Washington's army crossed the Delaware to recapture 'the Jerseys'. and to answer the question: Why did Washington risk such a perilous ride on Christmas night in ice and cold and snow?  It certainly wasn't for a pleasure cruise.  It was to fight what would be called Ten Crucial Days. 

This year I did some research, found a friend to join me and decided to go for 2 days out of the 10. I had already seen the Crossing reenactment, so signed up for a one day tour with Larry Kidder who wrote a book called Crucial Ten Days and Roger Williams who maintains the website. Located a nice AirBnB   so that I could stay to see the reenactments. I was on my way to two fascinating days of activities surrounding the Two Battles of Trenton and Princeton.

I admit that I was not emotionally 'attracted' to this war. Even as I write this, it sounds preposterous. Attracted to a war? I had poured myself into the Civil War. But The Revolution seemed too steeped in a kind of patriotism and history that has been skewered, distorted to mean an unquestioned loyalty to the United States and the mythology that is taught in schools. We learn about the Founding Fathers, yet not much is taught about how much they fought and argued. Washington is lionized, but what happened to the stories of him losing battles, the politics around his decisions, the scheming to replace him. We  learned the myths of equality and liberty and fraternity, but rarely were given chances to talk about their deeper meanings.

This was a chance to experience these fateful days in American history just the way I like to learn.








No comments:

Post a Comment