Links to the 150th Anniversary

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Getting Started on the Road Trip

Leaving Silver Spring full of many emotions. First excitement, but frankly alongside this is anxiety, a touch of fear that creeps in when I think of the possibilities of being lost in Richmond, or not having quite enough to do and even of being 'disappointed' at what I experience. Then I remember two routines that keeps me going through any lulls: have a conversation with someone every hour. A guard, a clerk, another tourist, a native, anyone. And if there is no obvious circumstance, initiate a conversation. The second is look out for and welcome surprises,  revel in them.

Today, the trip begins with a straight drive down I95. It is the excitement now that I can feel as I see signs for places that have real meaning to me:
Fredericksburg
Ni River
Po River
Spotsylvania
Charlottesville
Cold Harbor

And finally Richmond. It has begun.


No comments:

Post a Comment